The words “work” and “toil” are mentioned over 480 times in the Bible, indicating that God considers our work to be a very important aspect of our lives. Throughout Scripture God communicates how important our work is to Him. Below are just a few verses that contain God’s wisdom and perspective on our work, and how we should conduct ourselves while performing our work, along with a practical ways you can apply these verses today.
- “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” – 1 Corinthians 10:31
Application: Work is a part of life and it’s meant to be done with a positive attitude. Be intentional about the way you handle each task, and treat each person at work today with grace and love. Because this is how you bring God glory!
- “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” – Colossians 3:23-24
Application: Look at the work in front of you today – whether it’s preparing a report, participating in a meeting, taking out the trash or updating the budget – and identify ways you can do each thing with excellence as if God is the One you want to please.
- “Jesus replied, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” – Matthew 22:37-39
Application: Demonstrate love for God at work by seeking His direction before starting your next task. Thank Him for small and big wins today. Look for ways to demonstrate love for your coworkers by treating them with kindness, extending grace and providing support.
- “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” – John 15:5
Application: Before you start the next assignment or conversation, open the Bible or Bible app and look for inspiration in God’s Word. Ask God for wisdom to solve the next problem that comes across your desk. Talk to God throughout the work day as if He were sitting right next to you.
- “… Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave – just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” – Matthew 20:26-28
Application: Look for ways to serve your coworkers by thinking of their needs more and your own less. Provide help with a project, buy someone a cup of coffee, or offer a listening ear or a word of encouragement.
- “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” – Ephesians 2:10
Application: Notice the work God puts in front of you today, no matter how insignificant, and do it to the very best of your ability. Write down three ways God can use the small tasks you do to bless someone.
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16
Application: Let your faith in God show through the way you treat people, the peace you operate from even in the midst of chaos, and the confidence you have in Christ. If you need a bit more peace, joy or wisdom, stop and ask God to give it to you. Pray that His power works through you today.
- “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.” – Genesis 2:2
Application: Follow God’s example and take a full day each week for Sabbath rest – a time to focus on God and His goodness, and allow Him to refresh you for the next week’s work.
- “Commit your work to the LORD, and then your plans will succeed.”– Proverbs 16:3
Application: God wants us to partner with Him in our work – not do it on our own. Turn to God with the work you have to accomplish and pray that He gives you strength and direction before you take the next step.
- “Work hard, but not just to please your masters when they are watching. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart. Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.” – Ephesians 6:6
Application: Not all work is fun, but God wants us to do everything we do with enthusiasm and excellence because we do it to please Him. Identify opportunities to have a positive influence on the people you work with by doing the mundane tasks with enthusiasm.
- “Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”– 1 Corinthians 15:58
Application: God cares about all of the work we do. Notice the distractions that take you off track and be intentional about eliminating them today so that you can give your best and make the best use of each minute. Remember that God doesn’t waste anything that we do for His glory.
- “And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God.” – Ecclesiastes 3:13
Application: God gives us work so we can enjoy life. Be sure to take time each day to enjoy the good things that work makes possible in your life, such as time with family and friends.
- “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”– 2 Chronicles 15:7
Application: Work is not without its frustrations. When a frustration occurs, turn to God’s Word and to prayer. Refrain from complaining or hopelessness. God will give you strength and your perseverance will pay off in the long run.
- “The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.”– 1 Corinthians 3:8-9
Application: Each of us is God’s coworker and each person has a specific part to play. God wants you to partner closely with Him and do your assignments with excellence while honoring the work of others. Be careful not to compare, but recognize we all have an important part to play at work.
- “The LORD demands fairness in every business deal; he sets the standard.” – Proverbs 16:11
Application: Be diligent not to compromise your values. Ask a fair price, provide good value and treat people fairly in all of your business dealings. Conduct your business according to God’s standards, not the world’s.
- “He must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.” – Ephesians 4:28
Application: God not only wants us to partner with Him in our work, but also in what we do with our earnings, which includes giving to those who are in need. Notice who God has placed in your path to help with a financial or material need and help when you can.
- “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.” – Psalm 90:17
Application: Remember that God cares about your work. He uses it to build His kingdom and for His glory. Pray about your work every day and ask for God’s favor. Pray this verse over your work.
Want to go deeper in living out your faith at work? Check out Workmatters Studies. Each study will help you grow as a leader at work based on biblical principles by helping you see the relevance of Scripture to your work today. Invite a few coworkers to join you in discovering how powerful it can be when you pursue God’s purpose for your work every day.