Be An Ambassador For Christ
Speaker: Ross Cully
The Bible helps us understand that our role at work is to be an ambassador for Christ. Success comes by focusing on our work today and the eternal.
“We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.”
– 2 Corinthians 5:20-21
The overarching narrative of God’s story ends with what the Bible calls the renewal of all things (Rev. 21:5). Another term for this is “the kingdom of God,” which is basically what things look like when Jesus is fully recognized as king. We live at a point in that narrative where we have been redeemed by Jesus and are participating with him in revealing the Kingdom of God. in fact, the first thing Jesus instructs us to ask God for in the Lord’s prayer is that “Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:9-13). The Bible helps us understand our role as an “ambassador” of the kingdom.
There are several ways we can do our work as an ambassador:
- Be a witness. We can see His kingdom come through relationships. When we speak and act as Jesus taught us to, we can encourage others be an example of what it means to be Christ-like. Success, then, comes by being intentional with how we do our work; doing work with excellence and through positive interactions with others.
- Focus on the end goal. When we remember there is another part of God’s story — Restoration of our souls and of Creation when Christ returns — it shifts our focus to eternal goals. It helps us to focus on eternal goals, and realize that true success comes by thinking long.
Success at work can come by focusing on both the now and the not yet — being a good ambassador for Christ today and keeping our focus on the eternal at the same time.
How does an understanding of your place in God’s overarching narrative motivate you to elevate the way you engage in your workplace?
- What examples have you seen of God’s kingdom here on earth in your workplace?
- What are some ways you can interact with coworkers to better reflect Jesus’ example?
- What are some practical ways you can balance focusing on both eternal success and success today?
An ambassador is an official representative of one place living in another. What is one way your actions can shift to reflect that you are God’s ambassador — his official representative — in your workplace?
Go through the 4-day YouVersion devotional Jesus’ Love at Work.