Stay Connected To God At Work
Speaker: Donnie Smith, Former CEO, Tyson Foods
Pursuing God’s purpose for work first of all means staying connected to God at work. In this module, Donnie Smith, Former CEO, Tyson Foods, will share how to stay connected to God at work, wherever you work. He’ll discuss ways to talk to God about your work, acknowledge God in your work and develop rhythms for abiding with God continually at work.
God has a purpose for every institution and industry, and that includes your work. But we can only discover and pursue God’s purpose, and really love Him as He commands, if we are connected to Him at work.
That means that staying connected to God needs to be our top priority at work. Jesus makes this clear in Matthew 6 when he said, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33, ESV).
Part of staying connected is depending on God as we do our work. There is so much that can distract us. So we all need reminders. Jesus told us, “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5, ESV).
Abiding with God at work throughout our work day will help us do our best work. We can abide with God by:
- Talking to God about your work. Create a prayer list related to your work goals, concerns, people and projects. Pray over those work-related concerns. Then write down how God answers those prayers.
- Trusting God in your work. We are not immune from difficulties and challenges. But when we trust God and depend on Him, He gives us wisdom, ideas, strength, resources and everything we need to accomplish our work with excellence and in line with His purposes because He loves us.
Guard against the problems, deadlines and demands that can distract you from connecting with God. Use some of these practical tips to abide throughout the day:
- Start the day in quiet time with God. Give God your day.
- Pray during your commute to work.
- Place reminders of God around you at your work station: a devotional, Bible, printed verses that are relevant to you, devotional email subscriptions, etc.
- Pray short breath prayers before meetings and during transitions in your day.
- Ask God for wisdom and guidance to solve problems, in every decision, when preparing for tough conversations, and when setting priorities.
- Pray on the way home. Express gratitude, release concerns, ask God to give you rest.
- Before bed, reflect on the day and thank God for the ways He showed up for you at work. Acknowledge where you were not connected to Him, and receive His grace and forgiveness.
God wants you to turn to Him in everything at work and in life.
What would your work look like if you made connecting with God your top priority each day? What would be possible if you stayed connected to Him throughout the day?
- Look at the way you typically start your day. Based on your activities, what are your overarching priorities at work? What would have to change to make God number one?
- What is your experience when you go through your work day without connecting with God? Where are you most vulnerable to stress or anxiety?
- Think of a time when you were intentional about connecting with God at work. How was your experience different?
- What is one aspect of your work you can practice talking to God about that would make a difference for you?
- What is one area at work that you need to trust God with more?
- Out of the ways that Donnie shared of staying connected to God, which ones will you start applying? Share why you chose those.
What will you start doing immediately to help you stay connected to God at work?